Monday, June 30, 2008

Mommy Mercies

My days are always full of what I like to call "Mommy Moments." Those times that you just want to rip your hair out (or your child's) and scream. Take today, for example: Abby wet her pants while eating a snack at the table -- not so bad, made her clean it up and sent her to change. Went to check on her, playing in her wet clothes on the bed. Now I have to wash the sheets. Checked on her again, naked. Checked again, had peed on the floor of her room...twice. Lovely.

These Mommy Moments are interspersed with the times that make it all worthwhile: the Mommy Mercies. Like when I got Jake out of bed after his nap. He gave me the biggest belly laugh ever. He was so giggly it was contagious! We were all laughing which made him laugh more. Or like the conversation I had with Mason today:

Me: Mason, did I ever tell you how much I love you?
Mason: No. (as if that's true)
Me: I love you bigger than the ocean. Bigger than the sky...and the stars!
Mason: Bigger than the moon?
Me: Bigger than the moon.
Mason: Bigger than the cars? (apparently that's pretty big)
Me: Bigger than the cars.
Mason: Bigger than the trucks?
Me: Bigger than the trucks. (he had to think for a while, then laughed and rolled onto his back)
Mason: (laughing) Why are you so cute? Stop being so cute! (The way he says it is the best!!)

Times like these just make my heart melt and remind why I am doing this. I love Elder Bednar's talk about the tender mercies of the Lord. I try to find them in every day. It makes it so much more meaningful.

What Mommy Mercies have you had lately?

9 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh, what cute little kiddos you have, Amy! I just just picture you having that adorable conversation with your children :)

The Porters said...

Hahaha...I cant wait for the fun to start! Abby's story makes me laugh. I bet you werent laughing at the time.

Amber said...

I love that!! Thanks for sharing. You are totally right we need to look for those Mommy Mercies more often =).

lenseigne said...

Hi Amy! I came across your blog and thought I’d say hello! Holy cow, your kids are so big! And you have 3 now! I enjoyed looking through your blog to see what you’ve been up to. I definitely get a lot of those mommy moments too. It is fun to see how your family has grown! -glenda :)

Natalie said...

You have beautiful children, don't you just love the memories they create? I still can't believe where I am in life ~ 'An 11 year old? What?' Ha ha... Lots of stories, I can definately relate. LOL :)
You are a great mom.

AN said...

Oh, your kids are so cute and sweet!! I cannot wait to see my baby and be a mom soon.

Melissa Bosen said...

Hi Amy! I pray desperately for those mercies to come. Many times I get through an entire day without any, but we just keep on hoping for the next day. My boys are all three in hard phases right now... I'm hopeful that school starting next week will help us past them!

Brewer Family said...

Hey there! How are you doing? I will have to agree you do have cute kiddos.

Amy Allred said...

Okay, I'm sorry I couldn't resist. I have come across your blog a couple of times and couldn't help but peek. Your name is Amy as is mine, Your husband is Rustin, my son is Rusten (not a very common name) and your newest little boy was born the same day and 3 minutes earlier than my little guy Camm. He was born January 28, 2008 at 12:47 pm. Weird huh! Okay I'll leave you alone now, it was just way too cool not to mention. Cute family!